Welcome to the Studio 12 Blog!
We post news, events and more from our art studio in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Drop your email address in the box below to get an email notification when we post a new update.
2016 is proving to be an exciting year for Studio 12 as we continue on with our renovation project on the building we recently aquired. In the last two blog posts I took you on a tour of the outside of the building and then in the last post I took you on a tour of the inside of the building. Now, its time for demolition! As you saw from our last blog post, there is a lot of junk to be removed as well as flooring, walls and ceilings.
Gary Schena, my Husband and co-owner of Studio 12 has been the main man on the job! One of the first tasks in the demolition was removing the old maroon rug and then the tile floor. There was over 1,000 square feet of tile. The sledge hammer and shovel were our friends for this job, and the bonus was that no trips to the gym were needed that week.
Gary and I got all the shoulder, bicep, qaudracep and abdominal muscle workout we could dream of! While the removal of flooring was more fun than a barrel of monkeys, we had to also look at removal of some internal walls and ceiling. We removed a number of internal walls that had comprised several small rooms, including two bathrooms an office and part of the original restaurants kitchen.
After taking out so many internal walls we needed to add in some support which included three columns through the center of the main part of the building. It was a bone of contention between Gary and I, since I had just finished figuring out the layout of our new studio and gallery and support columns running through the center were NOT part of the design. Needless to say, structure won out over design and I had to go back the drawing board on the layout.
Now we were beginning to get down to the bare bones of the building and it is beginning to be time to build things back up again.
In my next post I will give you a tour of the bare bones of the building and the changes we made to the front!